Last Modified 13/06/2017 12:51:20
Share this page
The Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE), is the Office for National Statistics most detailed and comprehensive source of information on how much workers earn through employment and includes:
- Overall levels of earnings - for both full-time and part-time employees and for gender
- The make-up of total earnings - split between basic pay and other components like overtime
- The range of earnings - from lowest to highest earners
The headline earning figure reported is the median gross weekly pay for full-time employees. This is the middle income in an area with approximately half earning more and half earning less than the figure.
ASHE does not include earnings for the self-employed as it is based on a 1% sample of all registered employees in the United Kingdom.
Facts and Figures
2014 Position - Residents
For residents of Blackpool, working for any employer, the 2014 release highlights:
Source: Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE)
- Median pay of employees resident in Blackpool is £386 per week, compared to £523 for England
- Blackpool residents in employment have the lowest gross weekly earnings in the UK
- Median pay increased by 3.2% in Blackpool, compared to 0.6% for England
2014 Position - Workplace
For individuals, employed by Blackpool workplaces:
- Median pay of individuals employed in Blackpool is £417, compared to £523 for England.
- Median pay for those employed in Blackpool is the 19th lowest in the UK.
- Compared to the Residents earnings the data suggests the highest earners commute into Blackpool from outside the town. This is typical of large urban employment centres.